These apple & oatmeal breakfast cookies are gluten-free and 100% vegan. A healthy yet delicious Christmas treat.
Christmas morning is a busy time so having a healthy snack ready to go is a great way to start the day. These breakfast cookies combine wholesome, natural ingredients that keep you feeling fuller for longer. They are deliciously chewy, with the sweetness of apple sauce and the addition of raisins, walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
These cookies can easily replace a granola bar, muffin, or cupcake using similar ingredients found in many baked goods that are often enjoyed for breakfast, including oatmeal. You can replace the apples with vegan chocolate chips if you prefer something sweeter.
This recipe uses a simple Flax Egg made from ground flaxseed and water to replace eggs. Together this creates the same consistency as eggs which is perfect for vegan baking.
- Oat flour
- Baking soda
- Almond butter
- Coconut oil
- Brown sugar
- Rolled oats
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Combine 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 4 tablespoons of warm water in a bowl and stir. It takes about 5 minutes for the flex egg to thicken.
- Step 1: Stir together 1½ cups oat flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt in a bowl.
- Step 2: In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup of almond butter, 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil, 1/4 cup of applesauce, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- Step 3: Add the Flax Egg and mix well.
- Step 4: Mix 1 cup of whole rolled oats, 3/4 cup of finely chopped apple, 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, and 1/4 cup of raisins.
- Step 5: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and bring everything together so it is well combined.
- Step 6: Take a spoon full of the dough and place it onto your prepared baking sheet. Press down the cookies with wet fingers or a spoon.
- Step 7: Bake until golden brown (no longer than 15 minutes).
- Step 8: Take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool down on the tray before cooling on a wire rack.
The mixture is usually somewhat crumbly at first, so moving them too soon could cause them to fall apart.
- Add some chocolate chips to the dough just before baking for a decadent variation on this cookie dough.
- You can use either Gala apples or Granny Smith apples
- For extra spice, add more spices such as ground ginger, nutmeg, or cardamom.
- Raisins can be substituted for cranberries.
- Almonds can replace walnuts.
- This vegan Christmas cookie recipe makes up to 25 cookies, perfect for feeding the whole family.
- Pack them into an air-tight container and bring them with you to picnics, brunch, or as the ideal road trip snack.
Leave a Reply